Saturday, March 1, 2008

The start of my problems

Hi all,



For those who do not know me, I began running in 2001. I was trying to lose weight, life was stressful and I needed to get out of the gym into the outdoors. I cant say I was hooked from the beginning. Breathing so hard that I felt like I was going to cough up my lungs, shin splints, blisters, sore muscles and abdominal cramps... Running was hard work.

As the spring/summer progressed I increased my mileage to approx 30 mi a week. I had lost 50lbs. I felt great. My wife Debby and I ran several races together that year. A 10 miler and several 5k races. Racing had not only become a source of exercise for me, but it became a passion. I loved the feeling of a runners high. That feeling when I was into a long run and my feet felt light as a feather, my heart beating steadily and I am breathing effortlessly. It is a feeling I can not describe.

In 2002 my wife and I ran a half marathon in the spring. It was a trail marathon, wooded and hilly. It was tough, but I finished with a decent time as did my wife. I was pumped and my wife and I made a plan to train for the Chicago Marathon. I had increased my weekly mileage to 40. I was on a good pace to be ready for the Marathon. We ran with a group of experienced runners and they were helping in guiding Deb and I thru this process of training for a Marathon. Then my problems began.

I was on a 10 mile run during the weekend. I usually saved my long runs for Saturday morning. About 4 miles into the run, I noticed that my left foot was "falling asleep". I ignored it and kept on going. Over the course of several weeks, every time I would go for a run, I would get numbness to my left foot that extended into my big toe. When I would stop running it went away. On a Saturday, during one of my long training runs, the numbness came back. However, this time it did not go away.....

That week I got into see an Orthopedic Surgeon. The Sports Medicine expert. I told him my story. He examined me and did some xrays and MRI and diagnosed me with Exertional Compartment Syndrome. His diagnosis was based purely on symptoms. My numbness was due to the compression of the Superficial Peroneal Nerve as it exited my Anterior Compartment. In english, everytime I ran, my muscles would fill with blood, but the fascia covering the muscle would not stretch and the pressure went inward choking the nerve. He recommended surgery. A procedure call a fasciotomy. I agreed since he was the expert and I wanted to run. I was bummed out because I would miss the Chicago Marathon. The surgery went forward and my Left Anterior and Lateral Compartment were decompressed and I ended up following my wife around the course at the Chicago marathon on a mountain bike. She did a great job and I was so proud of her.....


Debby after the race!! Pete (in the hat) and I chasing Deb around the course

No comments: