Saturday, April 26, 2008

Busy Week: My two week check

I have been so busy, that I have not had a chance to get on here and blog about my 2 week follow up appointment with my surgeon.

I went to see Dr. L on Thursday. As usual, it took about an hour before I got back to see him. He was very pleased at how well I was doing in terms of walking and activity level. I have no muscle soreness and I am walking with a normal gait. I can ambulate stairs without any problems. In fact, I have been getting yelled at by the wife for not taking it more easy. He was however displeased with the look of the incision on the left leg where I had the infection. It is still red and slightly swollen. I removed my steri stips on Wed. I could not take the itching and pulling on my skin any longer. I had some oozing from the infected site, although it was clear and had no odor. So, I finished my antibiotics this weekend and I am going to keep an eye on my leg to make sure that the symptoms do not get worse. I am a RN so Dr. L trusts me to care for myself and to come back sooner than my 6 week appointment if there are any other issues.

Signs of Infection:

  • fever of 100.5°F (38°C) or higher
  • severe pain in the area of the incision
  • intense redness in the area of the incision
    bruising.
  • bleeding or increased drainage of tissue fluid

Normal Signs after surgery include:

As an incision heals, it is normal to experience some redness, swelling, itching, minor skin irritation or oozing of tissue fluid, or small lumps in the skin near the incision. At first, the skin over the incision will feel thick and hard. After a period of two to six months, the swelling and irritation will go down and the scar tissue will soften and begin to blend into the surrounding tissue.

The good news is that I can go back to work next Friday and I can also began some light cycling at that time. No tension on stationary bike and no hills on my road or mountain bike. Got to ease back in slowly. He will not release me for any running until after he sees me on my 6 week appointment.

No comments: