Monday, May 5, 2008

My First Workout....



Tonite I went to the gym for my first cardio workout post surgery. I did 30 minutes of cycling and walking 3.8mph on the tread climber. I also did some weight training on my legs and calves as well as some stretching. It felt really good to exercise and have no numbness in my feet. Also missing was the burning feeling that I have had in my legs for about 6 months. I am weak and out of shape, but my legs felt better than I would have imagined.




My schedule for the next 3 weeks.
#1 week- keep cardio workouts to 30 minutes. incorporate stretching and light weight lifting.

#2 week- increase cardio to 45 minutes. continue with the stretching and light weight lifting. increase weight as tolerated.

#3 week- push cardio workouts to 60 minutes if possible. I will do this by interval training on several different machines.


Also, I am using a wobble board and half of Styrofoam tube to strengthen my ankle ligaments and calf muscles. The picture below shows how I use the wobble board. I usually stand on it one leg at a time and balance myself. On the half foam roller, I stand on the roller on the long axis with one leg at a time and balance myself. It may look easy, but it causes quite a burn.

No comments: