Monday, April 7, 2008

Preop Appointment

Today I went and saw my Surgeon. This is the appointment where he explains what he is going to do and what my recovery time will be. The waiting room was packed at his office and I ended up waiting 2 1/2 hours to see him. Dr. L has been at spring training with the Detroit Tigers, so he had alot of catching up to do since he has been back. While I am there, a Detroit Red Wings player shows up to see him and my apt is further delayed while he See's him.

My surgery is this Friday, April 11Th. After talking to Dr. L it is decided that I will stay over night. He does not usually do two legs at once and is concerned about my ability to ambulate when he is done. I agree to staying over night and find out that I will be under "general anesthesia". This is a very broad term and I will get more details on the day of my surgery.

I ask Dr. L how much time does he think I will need before I can go back to work. He says it will be a minimum of 4 weeks. I am hoping for 3 weeks. I am stressed because I know that my team needs me. However, my health is more important. I will also need some physical therapy.

For some reason I am nervous about this procedure. I have had quite a few surgeries in the past, but this one has me nervous. I do not know why. I will put it all in Gods hands. I just look forward to being able to run again....

2 comments:

Valkyri said...

Hey, this is Valkyri from the runner's world forum.

I know what you mean this time, I've had about 5 (unrleated) surgeries in the past 2 years and none of them I gave a second thought to - and this one has me scared silly.

Do you want to share which Red Wing? I would have been asking for an autograph!

Anyhow, Good Luck on your surgery.

Anonymous said...

Best of luck, i hope your surgery went well today. Just found your blog through runners world. I might be dealing with a similar issue - definitely peroneal nerve irritation - but we aren't sure if it's due to scar tissue, or from compartment syndrome. Further testing to be done this month.
I'll be checking in here to see how things went with you. - Pete